Light Switches
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamesdaniel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Light Switches

by jamesdaniel » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:22 am

I`m trying to change my light switches in my new house. All the current wiring is red so I`m not sure what goes where. Any help would be much appreciated.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:29 am

I think until 2004 not too sure on date this was the correct colour for Line wires and all switches will be of Line polarity. Switch are sometimes labelled as L1, L2, L3, and sometimes as Com, L1, L2 normally L1 on one system equals Com on other and so on but I always check with meter.
There are three main types of light switch On/Off, Two Way, and Intermediate the latter will do job of all three and Two Way can be used as Two Way or On/Off. And it does not really matter if supply goes to Com or L1 in On/Off switching. There are three ways to wire Two way switches and care is required to note what wire goes where.
It is not a new house with red wires so I would check if there any earth wires before selecting replacements as unless earthed metal light switches can't be used. There are some plastic switch covers available which look like metal. As with all electrical work if you don't know what your doing better not to touch.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:30 am