DIY Doctor

Light Switches

Postby ThomasD » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:37 pm

Hope someone can help

I have a passage with a single light fitting. I want to have light switches at either end of the passage, that both turn the light on and off. But, I also want the switches to have a timer in them so that the light turns off after a short time. And then when the light is off the switch has a little light in it that cames on so that you can see the switch when its dark.

I know they exist as I have seen them in hotels, etc. But it is possible to buy these anywhere?And do they have a name?

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:32 pm


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:03 pm

you can get push type timer switches that put the light on for an adjustable time, they are known as staircase switches and come in electronic or pneumatic types ,former better, latter cheaper
I think only electronic ones are lit, trye a main electrical wholesaler, unlikely to find in 'sheds'.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics