Light won't go off
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
brionn
Labourer
Labourer

Light won't go off

Post by brionn » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:31 pm

I am replacing a light fitting in my new flat and seems very old fashioned wiring. Have a black wire going to neutral; three red wires (two of the red wires come out of the same cable, while the other red comes out of the other cable along with the black; earth wires come out of both cables, which connect to earth).
Have connected the two reds to loop and the remaining red (from same cable as the black) to the live along with the brown going to light fitting.

On the same ceiling is a cord switch, which i have also repaced. Has a black going to neutral; two reds going to L1 and a red and a yellow going to L2.

When i switch on the electric, the light stays on and the switch doesn't turn it off.

Any advice welcome,

Thanks,

Tom

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by TheDoctor4 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:27 am

Hi
Have you had a look at our DIY projects section at all? We have numerous projects relating to electrics that may be of some use to you. Fell free to have a look on the following URL: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

Regards

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

Post by TOPSPARK » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:25 pm

What you need to do is connect one of the red cables from the cable with the 2 red cables in with the red out of the cable with the black in then the other red left connect to light fitting and then connect the black to the light fitting and the earths together then when you turn the power back on the light switch should turn the light on and off like normal
regards
Topspark

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi you seem to be very lucky as whoever wired the circuit used the correct type of cable-very unusual!
The cable with the 2 reds is from the switch and the light should be connected thus:
black to Neutral of light .
red from same cable to 'loop in' term with one of the reds from the twin red switch cable.
other red from switch cable to 'Live' of light.
The ceiling switch 'black' [which I think is really blue] should go to term marked C there is no neutral at the switches!
To confirm look at wall switch which should have the same configuration with whatever colour is in ceiling sw. C term in the wall sw. C term. [blue?]
the other terms L1,L2should have a red in one & a yellow in the other.
this is standard 2 way switching as found under 'Projects' with diagrams to help.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:35 pm