Light wont switch off
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dastley
Labourer
Labourer

Light wont switch off

by Dastley » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:33 pm

I have replaced 2 ceiling roses fro my dear mum. The furthest from the consumer unit was fine with a straightforward feed in. The 2nd one, nearer the unit, I found out had to live switches, due to 2 switches downstairs, which I have wired in.
The problem is now that when the bulbs are in both lights they stay on.. When I remove the bulb from the furthest socket it switches off and all is ok??

any ideas would be appreciated. I have taken pictures of the 2 but cannot load them onto this page unfortunately

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Neutral and switch return mixed up. There are diagrams on projects section or use one of the other forums that allow photos. This is odd one out not allowing photos and holding all posts until vetted. It does however mean no junk.

Dastley
Labourer
Labourer

by Dastley » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for the advice ericmark.
As I said I had 2 switch cables from 2 seperate switches, which i tested and am happy that these are correct. They are both in the same connectors.
The other feeds from the source and onto the new light don't have to be in any particular order i presume as they are all making a circuit?

Anymore advice accepted

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:31 pm

It is not normal to wire two way switches back to the lamp. Normally they go directly between switches. Where they do go back to the lamp it requires an extra connection hence why not normally done.

Wiring is same for both switches S1 and S2 can be swapped but basic method is Line in to S1 and Switched Line out to S2 with the Com from both switches being connected together but not connected to anything else.

Google here for more help: "ericmark.talktalk.net/twoway.html"

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:04 pm