Lightening stained doors?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tott
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lightening stained doors?

by Tott » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:01 am

Maybe a daft question (but there seems to be products for everything these days), can dark stained doors be lightened in any way?

We've got some pretty good doors but are a kind of medium mahogany finish, no doubt it would take a helluva lot of sanding down! ...and before anyone suggests, white paint is out!

TIA

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

by rigga » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Tott
Apart from stripping the doors using a paint stripper, or taking them of and having them professionally stripped (not always advisable).You could always grain them a lighter colour. If you want some instructions let me have your email and I will send you some details on how to do this.

Tott
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Tott » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Cheers Rigga, if I'm thinking the same as you're suggesting I've done something similar a few years ago - I've still got the graining tool around somewhere!

I've decided to wait for a bit of fine weather over a weekend, take a door out back and attack it with a belt sander and see what happens, tho' will a take a bit of patience with the details. Think I'll try this first.

Ta, Tott

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:29 am