Lighting circuit - only one light working
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andygibbard
Labourer
Labourer

Lighting circuit - only one light working

by andygibbard » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:32 pm

I had a plasterer round today to do a ceiling. He took off alight fitting and a pull switch from our upstairs circuit, but now all but one lights on the circuit won't come on.

The plasterer says he cannot look at it because he's not an electrician.

Would there be any chance of it working if I put the light fitting and switch back on, o rshould I just call out an electrician?

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:59 am

I don't know the name of the wiring style, but if the live feed goes to the next light via the fitting which has been removed then there is every chance that wiring it back correctly will fix the problem.

In the mean time I would not recommend having the lighting circuit switched on as it sounds like there may be a live wire left somewhere within the removed fitting.

singer
Ganger
Ganger

by singer » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:31 am

Taking down one light fitting has in effect broken the electrical feed to the rest of the lights on that circuit. Yes if you replace the light fitting and connect it up exactly as it was all other lights should then work, but remember to switch off at the fuseboard first!!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:44 pm