Lighting for a small landing
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lancastrian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lighting for a small landing

by Lancastrian » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 am

We have a small landing between the bedroom and the bathroom which is unlit and need a simple solution to lighting it at night when we go to the bathroom.
A solution that springs to mind is a non electrical battery operated light which is activated by a sensor so that it comes on as we step out onto the landing.
The other alternative I am considering is a plug in night light.
There is no plug socket on the landing but there is a socket near the door inside the bedroom.
Is it possible to put a new socket on the landing by running it from the socket in the bedroom and if so do I need an electrician or is it within DIY capabilities bearing in mind that I don't know a great deal about electrics.
Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:10 pm

It is possible, to install a spurred socket. But if there is a loft/attic space above the landing, it would be much simpler to add/extend the lighting circuit and install a mains powered ceiling light.

Lancastrian
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Lancastrian » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi,
Thanks,
There is no real loft /attic space - Just a very cramped space below a pitched roof.
We need immediate light as we step onto the small landing as the stairs are only two steps away just next to the bathroom door.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:42 am

I'm not a fan of lamps on top of landings as it can become a trip hazard, with the flex.
have you thought about down fusing with Fuse connection unit and installing a wall light?

Lancastrian
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Lancastrian » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:17 pm

We need something with instant light as we exit the bedroom onto the landing( rather than searching to switch a light on ) - Doesn't have to be bright so a plug in night light into a socket would suffice but there is no socket on the landing but there are two in the bedroom.
Is it possible to wire an extra socket in the landing area from the bedroom socket.
Otherwise a battery operated sensor light which detects movement would also suffice.

jimmy_one_ball
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jimmy_one_ball » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:20 am

Spuring a socket outlet means lifting floorboards and drilling joists, I wouldn't do it for less than £200 (unless you surface mount with mini trunking - ugly). My instinct would be to loop in a landing light but not if you live near an airport! The sensor / battery thing sounds cool but lazy, is it too much of an effort to switch a light on? Besides who does that anyway? Normal procedure is to feel your way around to avoid the eye pain of sudden light! Sorry, I've had a long day and a few beers, all the best!

Lancastrian
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Lancastrian » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks Jimmy.
Problem is that as you exit the bedroom in one stride you are almost into the bathroom or could tumble down the adjacent stairs.
A subdued light would help make things safer.
It hasn't caused any problems so far.
The cost of installing a socket seems prohibitive.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:40 am