Lighting help please
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jayb1986
Labourer
Labourer

Lighting help please

by jayb1986 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Hello

Am in the process of installing a new ceiling light and have some questions to ask as i'm having some troubles.

When I took the old fitting down i found that there were 2 t&e cables coming down with one marked with red tape (switch wire I assume). Rest of the house has 3 t&e's except this one light- this light is on a loop with the rest of the downstairs lights.

Obv I have 2 earth, 2 red and 2 black- The 2 reds where connected together in a seperate terminal block with nothing coming off them. The black wire was connected to the N terminal on the light unit, the earths to the earth and the black wire ( with red tape) was connected to the L terminal.

The light still doesn't work, what have/am I doing wrong? I'd appreciate any help because at present the lights downstairs obviously dont work.

many thanks

note: the terminal block connected to the light fitting has 1 blue(n) , 1 brown(l) and 1 earth(g&y)

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Youve got 2 t&e's because it's proberly end of the circuit. i.e. mains in to the fitting & switch return.

You might have loose connection or broken wire somewhere, have you got a multimeter to test for voltage.

steve the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by steve the plumber » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:21 pm

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:51 pm

what you have done is correct.

you say the rest of the lights don't work?

As there are only 2 cables and the others all have 3 then this must be the last one on the circuit & all others should work even if you have made a mistake with this one,

are you sure you haven't ;
a] blown a fuse.
b] missed a cable

not many other options

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:42 am