Lighting help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bcb1107
Labourer
Labourer

Lighting help

by Bcb1107 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi all

I'm am putting up some spots in my bathroom and have a few quieries. The lighting is currently on a pull cord with 1 light in the ceiling which works fine I am moving the pull cord which is simple enough as all I will need to do is move it and re-connect the wires as they are now but I would like to know when wiring the spots on a radial

1. Is it a simple case as using the existing wiring now for my 1st spot light and would these wires go into the transformer

2. Then would I link the trans to the spot light

3. Would I carry this on to the remaining spots in 1.5 twin n earth as a radial and repeat the process as above to the remaining spots

4. Do the transformers just have a simple live earth n neutral terminal on them

5. I am also wanting to add a fan would I do this from the spot light via a junction box or connectors using 3core flex to the fan

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:04 pm

welcome Bcb1107,

A few issues here and don't want to spoil your DIY enjoyment,
but what are doing comes under the banner of notifiable work.
Use this link.
www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm

The law regarding electrical work done in the home, changed in 2005.
Minor work ie extending an existing circuit within a special location, which the bathroom is considered to be, is now notifiable to building controls.
The application can either be made by you prior to starting work or be made by an electricain again prior to starting.
Unless the electricain can self-certificate the work they are doing (google; competent persons scheme) they then notify building control for you.

This work will need inspection and testing with calibrated equipment.
I am happy to inform you of the methods and accesories that would be needed for a safe installation and so will other members.
But I hope you appreciate the legal implication regarding part p.
KB
Last edited by kbrownie on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bcb1107
Labourer
Labourer

by Bcb1107 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks for the reply

i have a friend who is a qualified electrician with his part p, he explained how to do the wiring but is currently on holiday, he told me what to do b4 he went and said he would check this when he returns which is friday

i was just wondering if the method i had put down was correct

cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:21 pm

your transformers are wired between the switch and light, do you have one single transformer for all lights or individual ones for each light?
are these correctly rated?
The new connection at pull cord is that an accessible joint if how do you intend to join it?
Junction box and fan connection is this accesible and how are suppling the feed?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:55 pm