Lighting Problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bateo
Labourer
Labourer

Lighting Problem

Post by bateo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to change 2 light fittings in my living room, I did the first one without problem and it worked fine.

However, with the 2nd one, all the wiring came apart when I took the old light off and I have no idea which cable does what.

I have tried to locate the switch cable using a circuit tester. One of the cables completes a circuit, but is not affected by turning the switch on or off.

When it is wired up like this, the light comes on but does not go off. Also, the light on the other side of the room stops working.

Please help!

bateo
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bateo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:07 pm

Don't worry, problem sorted.

The switch had blown, replaced it and it all works fine.

moger4
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by moger4 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:01 am

this is a bit of a problem , firstly , to find the correct wire for the switch if this is done in T & E then its fairly simple , with the supply OFF conect the red in the swtich to the earth , this will give you a cct , go to the light fitting and test each red to earth with your tester , this will tell you the correct red , assuming this is T & E the the other wire in the same cable (does that make sence ? ) will be the other part of the swtich , on three plate the red is perminantly live and the other is the switch line , so having i dentifed the correct swtich line , you can connect up the new fitting rememebering the swtich line goes to the fitting live to swtitch on and off

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:16 am