Lighting probs
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MINI1275
Labourer
Labourer

Lighting probs

by MINI1275 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:38 am

Can anyone help i bought a new ceiling lamp ,and when i went to install it
found that the original ceiling rose does not have an earth , will it still be ok to fit it as i am replacing a platic pendant with a metal 3 bulb ceiling light.
thanks

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:01 pm

The simple answer is no. If there is no earth only double insulated fittings can be used. The international sign is a double square one inside the other. Some metal looking lights are double insulated but most are not and can't be used on a earth free system. It is not easy to convert to earthed type and when one hears there is no earth one wonders at the age of the wiring! Domestic premises need inspecting every 10 years or change of occupier.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi MINI1275,
Because it's metal it needs to be earthed you need to find your nearest terminated earth and supply from that, ideally from the nearest light fitting with an earth.
Regards
KB

MINI1275
Labourer
Labourer

by MINI1275 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:39 am

[quote="kbrownie"]Hi MINI1275,
Because it's metal it needs to be earthed you need to find your nearest terminated earth and supply from that, ideally from the nearest light fitting with an earth.
Regards
KB[/quote]
THANKS FOR THE HELP, CHEERS

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:46 am

In practice doing as kbrownie says as to connecting an earth may be done. But "544-01-01 When overcurrent protective devices are used for protection against electric shock, the protective conductor shall be incorporated in the same wiring system as the live conductors or in their immediate proximity."
Means that to follow regulations to the letter one would normally renew the cables. As to if I would is all dependent on local conditions we all at some time break rules but hard to tell others to break rules.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:48 am