Lights dimming the more bulbs I plug in
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pangowen
Labourer
Labourer

Lights dimming the more bulbs I plug in

by pangowen » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 pm

I've just fitted one of these

Google "bhs.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/bhsstore/977793/233061"

and something odd happens.

With only one bulb plugged in, that bulb is very bright.
But the more I plug in the dimmer they all get, and when all 6 are connected they are all really dim, so the overall light is less than a single bulb.

There is no additional transformer, I just connected it straight into the ceiling rose as you would a normal light.

Anyone know what is causing this, or is it just defective.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:33 pm

The G4 10W bulb is normally 12v so it will have a step down unit somewhere. The units are not simple transformers but inverters that change the 230ac at 50hz to DC then back to ac at a very high hz then transform to approx voltage required and the voltage is sampled and then the bit that produces the high frequency is altered to keep the voltage correct.

This is seems is not happening in your case so just take whole lamp back as faulty.

Although they look nice with the gradual withdraw of tungsten bulbs we decided a fitting using discharge bulbs was best option. Ours has 5 bulbs and at moment one is a tungsten which gives us instant light until others warm up.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:49 pm