Lights Flickering
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gselliott
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lights Flickering

by gselliott » Wed May 30, 2007 11:25 am

I have got 2 problems with the lights in my house and I guess they could be both connected!

First is that the lights in the bathroom and utility (next door to each other) keep flickering every so often, the lights do not go off they just dim a little then go back to full brightness. The lights are new halogen spot lights, 3 in the utility and 5 in bathroom.

I have only just recently bought the house and I am in process of renovating it so i'm unsire if the old lights did this in the first place or not.
I have read a few of the posts on the site which suggest it could be a loose connection, so I spent last night checking every one and could not see a problem, any other ideas what this could be?

The second problem which could be connected is that i have now started to notice that the downstairs lights will also flicker (any room) when i have a drill or electric saw plugged in, as soon as i start to use it the lights flicker for a split second then they go back to normal. Any ideas??

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed May 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Hi, could still be loose connection, even back at the mains end ie consumer unit, tails, etc.
Are you rural location, overhead supply?
any info abt set up would maybe lead to some more ideas
Regards SPARX

gselliott
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gselliott » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:12 pm

I have checked everything but still can't find any loose connections. i also forgot to mention that the bulbs in the spot lights keep blowing another one went today think this is the 3rd now!!

A little more info for you - i'm not in a rural location in fact quite close to the city centre! The downstairs and upstairs are on sperate circuits, if you need any more ino i'll do my best to get it to you.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi Agn,
the lights dimming on power up of equipment points to volt drop on mains due normally to loose connection or long way from sub station which is why I asked the ??
The L,voltage lights blowing on older systems was due to no voltage control on transformers, they relied on the total lamp load being matched to their output load so if too low wattage lamps fitted or when 1st one blows the others go soon after due to over voltages, not such a prob. with later trans having some limiting inbuilt,
not much help I know but it might be worth checking voltage at mains con sumer unit and see what happens when load applied, will need 2 people to do though
regards SPARX

gselliott
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gselliott » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:26 pm

Sparx thanks for the reply, just another couple of questions the lights don't have any transformer connected to them , they came with no transformer and says on the box 'no trnasformer required'! Are these type of spots no good? could this be the problem??

Also after another bit of investigation I have found that the outside security light (halogen) connected to the same junction box (sorry if terminalogy is wrong) as the lights that keep blowing and when i switch this light on / off the lights also flicker, the switch for the outside lights and faulty lights are on the same switch plate (seperate switch for both sets of lights tho!). Not sure if this will have anything to do with on whats happening or not?

Thanks again for the help it is reallyt appreciated!!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:35 pm

Hi agn!
I just assumed you had L/V lights, don't know why! old age I guess.
reread your original post, now see the lights are downstairs??
if so then would suggest heat build up is prob with lamps blowing particularly if yours have safety hoods fitted as lack of air flow can cause probs. not so bad in loft if clear of insulation material but need hoods for fire regs unless the fittings are fire/acoustic rated. suggest check temp of area around lights after say 30mins, personally I won't fit recessed down lights for customers because of freq. call backs in the past, & I wouldn't have them in my house if they were free!!!
regards SPARX

gselliott
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gselliott » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:05 pm

Sparx thanks for the info, yes your right the lights are downstairs and i have noticed they do get quite hot. Is there anything I can do with these lights as i rally dont want to have to replace them as they have just bee nfitted into a brand new celling. I read another post about problems with these types of lights with similar problems and someone suggested low energy bulbs would these help??

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:26 pm

Hi agn. yes low energy lamps is the way to go if your type available, by the way legislation coming to outlaw all other types within 2-3 years, you won't be able to buy filement lamps at all, only fluorescent or LED's
yippee!!!
Already so down-under i'm told!
regards SPARX

gselliott
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gselliott » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:36 pm

Excellent i'll see if i can find some then, any ideas where the best place to get them from? The bulbs that are in have the 2 round prongs on the end.

Thanks again sparx!

gselliott
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gselliott » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:52 pm

Just had a quick look online and there seems to be a few different types of energy saving bulbs available fluorescent and LED which ones would you suggest??

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:18 pm

Hi I think yours are GU10's , fluorescents are brighter over a distance, but
I like LEDS as you can get different colours ie White, Blue etc, unfortunately at the moment they don't 'throw' the light as far, try one of each?
regards SPARX

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:10 am