Lights in Bath side Panel
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phil_V
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lights in Bath side Panel

by Phil_V » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:53 am

I'm thinking of doing a bath panel with led lights in.

What 'zone' would the lights need to be? From what I've read 'under the bath' is unzoned, but at the same time I'm thinking water splashed over the side, or dripped, would mean that probably zone 0 / 1 would be needed?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:36 am

Since it will need passing by LACB I would ask them. Lights else where in bathroom including let into ceiling have to be designed for that use. So I would expect you would need to use SELV fittings. I expect Zone 1 as unlikely a tool or key will be required to change lamps.
Do remember under the bath is only outside zones if the bath panel needs a key or tool to remove it.

Phil_V
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Phil_V » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:04 am

Cheers, I didn't realise that I would be able to ask LACB for information.
I was thinking that I would likely use SELV anyway, as whatever 'zone' they are classed as I would think that there is always a risk of water dripping down over them.
Something like the LED lamps should be suitable I think?
With regards to access to the side of the bath, what constitutes 'requiring a tool' ?
Presumably if the side panel is screwed to the supporting frame then that 'needs a tool', but what if there was no screws, but the side panel was joined to the tiles at each end of the bath will silicon sealent? (The bathroom is the same length as the bath). You wouldn't be able to remove the side panel without use of a blade or similar, so would that count?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:01 pm

If I was doing it I would say if you could not un-clip it then OK. But I am not signing the paperwork. And there is only one person you can really ask and that is the person in charge of the job.

i.e. person who signs paperwork. Some lamps are replaced with clips and although hard without a tool some may not pass that type. As to LED well nearly a must as anything one can touch must not burn so only cold cathode and LED are cool enough.

Some inspectors use common sense others are really pedantic and there is also the point that maintenance will be required from time to time so sticking the bath panels on permanent would also contravene the regulations.

I find where something is required then inspectors will bend but where just to look good with no real purpose then they tend to stick to rule book.

Assuming SELV where will you put the transformers/inverters these need access for maintenance they also need to be kept cool and to me I my wife asked for lights like you show she would not get very far.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 pm

using a tool/key means, if you need to use a tool/key to remove the panel.
If the panel can be removed without the use of a tool/key, it then becomes Zone zero.

Phil_V
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Phil_V » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Ok, so SELV led lamps, with the transformer located outside the bathroom, and the bath side panel SCREWED to the bath frame would seem to cover all the above points.

Many thanks to all :D

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm