LIGHTS STAYS ON
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gaza1957
Labourer
Labourer

LIGHTS STAYS ON

by gaza1957 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:47 pm

:( help, removed a ceiling fan to replace it with a light, can not switch light off only by mains, there are two light switchs in room, one with normal three wires to it, the other one has two cables running to that,one cable normal three wires, other has two red and earth running to it. two red are joined together and one red and blue wired to the switch, how do i solve this problem

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:08 am

Most lights have live as well as switched wires at the ceiling rose if ceiling fan was originally a light you could have selected live (normally red) instead of switch (normally black with red sleeve). On the other hand I fitted years ago fan/lights in conservatories where I was instructed to fit a switched spur in bedroom with basically a permanent live to fan/light which was controlled in the conservatory with a radio controlled remote. This would cause a problem radio controlled remote switches cost about £12 from screwfix. With blue and red wires I would expect also a yellow which would point to a two way system. The double red and earth is the correct way to wire switches not often used. This will mean instead of a black with red sleeve at the light you will have a red careful noting of how it is connected before removal or locating which is double red at the lamp is only way. Only one wire of a double red would normally be connected to live at light the other will go to lamp. But quite frankly I can't follow what you have to give any more than basic wiring methods I would think only safe way is to call in an electrician. Sorry I can't help more.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:52 pm