Likely Heat Output for 2 old Rads Without Convection Fins
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
nLdnrunner
Labourer
Labourer

Likely Heat Output for 2 old Rads Without Convection Fins

Post by nLdnrunner » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:21 pm

Hi

What is the heat output likely to be for these two old double radiators, neither have convection fins:
A) 1840x300mm
B) 710x600mm

A bit of background...

I am currently sourcing rads for my 1970s built ex council flat. I've got BTU calculations to give me an idea what output to go for in each room. Of course I want to be able to get more output that I need in each room but I dont want to go over the top. My lounge presents a bit of a problem.

In the lounge I have one long, not very high radiator under the windows (1840x300 mm) next to where i usually sit and a smaller one at the other end. Both are basic double radiators installed in the early 80s or late 70s with no heat fins to increase heating area and effectiveness.

I'd like to swap the one under the window for a smaller one if possible as it looks big for the space and while I know I can do this and achieve my target BTU, I'd like an idea of the output in the current radiator so I dont make it feel any colder for me when I'm sat in my armchair next to it. As the room isnt huge I dont want the rads taking up more space than I need.

So how do I do this?
Are any non heat finned double radiators available anymore?
I know what the BTU output is of similar sized radiators are today but they have heat fins - is there a standard % I could assume is the improvement since fins became the technology?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

B

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1