Limited fall, break chamber required to pump into
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

Hope_floats
Labourer
Labourer

Limited fall, break chamber required to pump into

by Hope_floats » Sat May 14, 2022 10:58 am

HI

I've been renovating my house and extending for a few years now. Massive learning curve along the way and always something else needs understanding.

Unfortunately I have to put my storm water in the sewer as building control confirmed soakaway wasn't a viable option.

Our local water company require the following:
"Be aware that your plan should show that the final connection will be via gravity. The connection should be pumped for a length then discharged to what is called a ‘break chamber’ and then the final length of pipe from here flows by gravity to the existing sewer network."

I need to get the rainwater from the front of the house to the nearest point I can connect to the sewer. For me that's 30 meters and only have 140mm of fall! I've managed the water around the back (Just) with a 1:80 fall

Building control have advised I will have to pump it. Not a massive problem I think as it's only the rainwater from the roof at the front.

Pump choice should be simple enough, I'm struggling with the "break chamber" concept.

Could anyone help me out? I can't for the life of me work out how I install another small tank that allows the pump to feed, and gravity take over, with hardly any height difference between the front and back of the house.

Systems I've seen out there on the web show units in deeper ground, able to have a good size tank draining to the sewer.

Is there shallow options? Or have I complicated the requirements? Do I need to be aware of other issues I may face?

Thanks

It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:31 pm