Line of coping stones fallen off roof
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rokerman
Labourer
Labourer

Line of coping stones fallen off roof

by Rokerman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:25 pm

Afternoon all. A line of coping stones fell off my roof recently. They were held on with cement only. The house was built in 2000. My insurance is claiming that it is wear and tear and therefore will not cover us. The surveyor who carried out the mortgage valuation in 2014 did not pick up anything regarding the coping stones so is equally uninterested. A local builder has said that the stones were attached correctly as per the regulations in 2000, but nowadays they would need to be strapped on as well. We are getting all the lines of stones (8 of them) strapped on for safety, incurring a considerable cost. Luckily we have managed to get the gap made watertight for now. Any thoughts on this please folks?
Attachments
House1.jpeg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Line of coping stones fallen off roof

by stoneyboy » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:22 pm

Hi rokerman
I don’t think there is or ever has been regulations related to coping stones. I suggest that you specify stainless fixing brackets which are fitted in the joints between each stone. The bottom stone will need restraint straps on its bottom edge again specify stainless steel.
Regards S

Rokerman
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Line of coping stones fallen off roof

by Rokerman » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:48 pm

Stoneyboy

All copied, thanks. I'll pass it on to the builders

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:04 pm