lintel/external brickwork above a window
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yorkydale
Labourer
Labourer

lintel/external brickwork above a window

by yorkydale » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:53 pm

Can anyone give me some advice regarding lintels over windows please?

I am refurbishing a 1930s semi and am replacing the groundfloor lintels no problem ,but i am stuck with regards the upstairs.The exterior brickwork over the window has failed as there is nothing supporting it (although the interior lintel is fine ) what should I do ???? it is bowed and looks like it might fall altogether any minute. I would appreciate some advice about the best way to deal with this. thanks a lot.

jim
Labourer
Labourer

by jim » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:28 pm

if there are afew courses of bricks then angle iron is your best option if not most glazing firms just cover with upvc strips

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:45 pm

The best thing to do would be to support the opening with needles (see the project on forming openings through walls) and insert a proprietary cavity lintel. See the project on cavities and lintels. This will do two jobs by supporting both skins and at the same time makiing sure that any cavity water is thrown towards the outside skin where you leave a couple of vertical joints (perps) clear to act as weep holes for the water. The final thing that doing this job properly achieves is that any future sale is not likely to be stopped because of an incorrect lintel.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:33 pm

MANY OF THE ANSWERS TO YOUR POSTS CAN BE FOUND, WITH DIAGRAMS, IN THE DIYDOCTOR PROJECTS SECTION. CLICK HERE www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:20 pm