Lintel How Do You Tell
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Yashin
Apprentice
Apprentice

Lintel How Do You Tell

by Yashin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Firstly not sure if this is the correct section but I will ask anyway.

How do you know if you have a lintel or not? Due to the design of our house the two door ways into the kitchen work better with no doors. We wish to take off the door architrave and make very gentle (not 60's overstated) arches.

One door way has plasterboard above it, will it need a lintel or will the load be taken in some other way.

The other doorway is the original back door of the house but the previous occupants built an extension on so that door way now takes you into the extension. This was originally the rear wall of the house so will be load bearing. I don't want to take out the architrave and find the bricks collapse.

Any tips on how to find out if you have a lintel or not and should I need one on the plasterboard wall?

Thanks in advance

Yashin.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Lintel How Do You Tell

by welsh brickie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:12 am

if your going to make any structural changes you will need planning consent, if you make a call to your local council building inspector he can advise you.

Yashin
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Yashin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 am

Would you determine taking out a wooden architrave and turning it into an arch a structural change?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:04 pm

taking out an architrave is not structural but converting it into an arch is, I cannot comment on something I haven't seen so its best to consult a professional before any alterations

Yashin
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Yashin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Chipped away at the plaster on the lower face of the door opening and there was a steel lintel lurking.

beth bynnag, diolch am dy help di.

Hwyl

Yashin.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:40 pm