DIY Doctor

Livingroom Floor Joist Strength to Support Aquarium

Postby ramsay » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi
I'm proposing putting an aquarium into my living room. The length of the aquarium is 7ft long x 1.5ft wide. The approximate weight when full of water is around 1000kg.
I have lifted an access panel to have a look under my floor to see what way my floor joists are running. They are running the same direction as the length of the aquarium tank.
Could I have some advice if my floor joists would be strong enough to take the weight ?
In my picture the tank will be sitting over the joist area that's supported by brick.
Thanks
Brian
Attachments
101.jpg
ramsay
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

DIY asbestos test kits

Postby TimoS » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Id chop up few 4x2s into 1f lenghts,stick them flat on the concrete ( use some damp coarse under them) and then screw in vertical supports running from joist to timber on the concrete. I did that when i got snooker table 7 years ago and so far all good.
TimoS
Progress to next rank:
5.3%

Postby ramsay » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks for your help.
ramsay
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby Shem KSW » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 pm

extra legs a great idea as above or run opposing direction 6x2 joists underneath chocked up on blocks. This would spread the load really well and give a post and beam type load spreading effect.

I did both of the above when adding a 250kg concrete island in my kitchen last year. It hasn't fallen through yet ;-)
Shem KSW
Progress to next rank:
47.4%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!