Loft alteration regs years after conversion
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dru
Labourer
Labourer

Loft alteration regs years after conversion

by Dru » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:43 am

I live in a 3 bed semi which had the loft converted to one room in 1991 by a previous owner. The conversion complied with building regs at that time. If I want to install an en-suite in the loft will I have to bring the entire loft up to current regs or just ensure that the en-suite complies?

Similarly, if I want to install an additional Velux window in the roof, can I do this without having to bring the entire loft up to current regs?

I have asked my local council these questions but hoped for a quicker reply from here. :D

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:04 pm

If the original loft conversion had building regulation approval (which it should have had) then you will only need building regs for the element of work you are doing.

If the conversion was granted without building regulations approval, you will have to get it regularised first. This is a retrospective building regulations application. The council will wish to see the loft converted to a standard that prevailed the time the works were carried out. Your message suggests this is the case but sometimes, proving the date is another issue.

So hopefully it will be the former and you'll only need regs for the bit you are doing.

Hope this helps.

LCL

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1