Loft board flooring with insulation
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jonathon.beedie
Labourer
Labourer

Loft board flooring with insulation

Post by jonathon.beedie » Mon May 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi,
You have to bare with me as am relatively new at this - just bought a house last year, which is a very new house (building was completed in October 2009). There is already ample insulation in the loft, which is very thick and rises above the joists. I have bought some loft boarding from B&Q, as I just want to lay it down to store a few things.

Now, when it comes to putting it down, would it affect the effectiveness of the insulation if I were to compress it down to fix the boards to the joists?

Thanks
Jay

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Tue May 10, 2011 9:42 pm

jonathon.beedie,
"would it affect the effectiveness of the insulation if I were to compress it down to fix the boards to the joists?" YES
end

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:03 pm

That insulation should cover the joists with no visible holes.
Lofts are a valuable storage space it is unlikely that in placing a few items on the insulation you will ever notice the difference.

May I suggest that you visit one of the DIY stores and buy some sheets of polystyrene, you can uncover the joists, place the polystyrene across them and pile your stuff on the polystyrene.

Polystyrene will not compress and loading it will not effect its insulation properties it is a far better insulation than fibreglass.

WARMSEALEXPERT
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Loft board flooring with insulation

Post by WARMSEALEXPERT » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Polystyrene cracks, breaks and is not robust enough to go in a roof-space or to be used for insulation. In theory if you compress your glass wool roof insulation its R VALUE (insulation value) will go down, but you will never notice it. Squeeze your insualtion is, pack it down, and floor the loft. The floor boards themselves do act has insulators - if they were sealed that is.

In view of this I will add that glass wool or mineral wool insulation is always in a constant losing battle with a/ General Winters Cold Winds, 2 / "roof envelope creation". Suffice to say just one open hole in a tiled roof negates the insulation value created. Buidling envelopes, air sealing, caulking, and correct ventialtion are the buzz worrds today. .

BarryWillson
Labourer
Labourer

Post by BarryWillson » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 am

Yes,would affect the effectiveness of the insulation.

ruben93watson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ruben93watson » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 am

Obviously it will affect a effectiveness of the insulation. In addition to this, it can destroy the appearance as well. If it is a new house as you mentioned in your question, there is no need to add loft boards to the joists.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:40 pm