Loft Breathing Room and Percentage Coverage Question
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

Ukiwik
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Breathing Room and Percentage Coverage Question

by Ukiwik » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:02 pm

Hi All,

Have been asked to take a look at upgrading the boarding in the attic and have a few questions:

- Has had the fiberglass insulation topped up (to 270mm) but I'm a little confused by what the installers told the owner at the time: they left a third of it at 100mm (joist height) and said 'use this area if you're going to board it up'. She now believes this is the only area she can place boards full stop- it's currently boarded in a very makeshift manner and I would say it's overloaded. Am I missing something here or is this some kind of pre-loft-leg mentality? Surely the whole thing should be at 270mm and the whole thing (see next Q) can be boarded with loft legs/stilts?

- It's a semi detached property with pitched roof, can I board right up to the shared brick wall and just leave the eaves for breathing space or should I stop short of the brick wall?

- Also, am currently planning on using loft legs and the joists are around 320mm apart, annoying as the legs shouldn't be more than 600mm apart so can't quite stretch it to every second joist, meaning nearly double the amount of legs! Unless of course diagonal distance can be taken into account? If they are staggered on alternating joists the diagonal distance would be 480ish but obviously need to check this would be ok?

Many thanks for your time!
Scott

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:46 am