Loft Conversion and Structural Help Needed
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
awjones
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Conversion and Structural Help Needed

by awjones » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Hi guys,

I am looking at converting my 3 bed semi-detached house into a 4 bed through a loft conversion.

I have attached images below of the structural type of my loft.

I am wondering what structural work would be required to ensure safety and regs compliance if I was to remove the central collar beams and diagonal beams.

Any help would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Alastair
Attachments
50B0D241-5924-447D-99E5-CD7BDE3199EE.jpeg
EC8E1CDE-8F2A-4E26-B38B-E7B819384F04.jpeg

Scary_Duck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Loft Conversion and Structural Help Needed

by Scary_Duck » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi there,

I can not really make out the type of construction of your roof from your photos. There are various types of roof constructions that use very similarly looking "beam" placements. Those are not really beams as in they do not have a function of a beam :)

Anyway, those central horizontal wooden elements can have different functions depending on the type of construction. They could be there just to make the construction more firm and to help with the horizontal forces such as the wind impact or they could be structural and be load-bearing elements by providing the middle point of the main roof beams that carry the roof cover.

Those diagonal elements can also have different types of purposes. From what I can tell I think that they just have a supporting function but even so they are needed.

Can you make more photos and take photos of details such as the connection of those horizontal and diagonal elements with the main roof construction above? Also, can you give the dimension of the roof. That could help in determining which roof construction type is it. Thank you :)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:00 am