Loft conversion ceiling joists reinforced or other alternatives
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jemma
Labourer
Labourer

Loft conversion ceiling joists reinforced or other alternatives

Post by Jemma » Sun May 30, 2021 3:25 am

I live in a bungalow which was built in the 70s. The joists are approximately 10 cm x 4 cm. In modern those standards this is nowhere near they size required to carry any kind of load. However I would like to convert my loft space into a second bedroom by adding a dorma. Is there any way round replacing all the beams? I have read a bit about inserting metal rods and resin but are these joists too small for this method? I am only looking at adding a 4 x 4 bedroom (for one person ) with an en-suite. I really can’t afford to replace all the joists as well as converting the roof (dorma) so looking for alternatives. If anyone can help please let me know. Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Loft conversion ceiling joists reinforced or other alternatives

Post by stoneyboy » Mon May 31, 2021 9:46 pm

Hi jemma
If there are load bearing walls in suitable locations in the rooms below, larger joists could be fitted in between the existing ones you refer to. If there is sufficient headroom additional joists could be added above the existing ones.
You really need a structural engineer to carry out a survey and to advise you. Talk to your local building control team who may be able to suggest suitable people.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:18 pm