Loft Conversion Central Heating Estimate Prices
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DARCHY11
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Conversion Central Heating Estimate Prices

by DARCHY11 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:43 pm

Hello
We are looking to buy a house which has a loft conversion but they have no central heating as the boiler at the time was not good enough. I have been told they now have a ‘condensing ‘ boiler which would be ok

Realistically how much would it cost for me to now have central heating put in the loft conversion - no piping currently done! I would be employing someone and not doing this myself

Also how big a job is this - I.e do they need to Pull the flooring up etc?

Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Loft Conversion Central Heating Estimate Prices

by ericmark » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:12 am

It is like asking how long is a piece of string, I am sure some one will point out it's a cable length as the string runs up centre of cable, and so normally a guy would do it all in a day or two. But pushing 8 mm micro bore copper is like threading wires, but by time you move to 15 mm copper you need full access, and when soldering a pipe one should wait an hour before leaving in case anything is set alight.

Today there is plastic pipe, so there are options, plastic pipe has to be given room to expand and contract, so job is not neat.

As to boiler not big enough, unlikely a problem, with a well insulated house more likely to be a problem with boiler being too big.

As to floor coming up, likely some will need to be removed, or the ceiling clearly some where they need to tap into original, and although trunking can be used, and some times you can thread pipes really should be laid before the floor. The problem with a loft conversion is we are not sure how well the floor has been reinforced to take extra weight, so drilling beams for pipes to go through is a no no in the main, in theory it all should be on the plans, but in practice often no one can find them.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Loft Conversion Central Heating Estimate Prices

by ericmark » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:10 pm

To be piped with what? Micro bore, plastic, 15 mm copper, all have different requirements. And from where? with micro bore common to have a manifold so if so are there spare ways?

This house has sheets of MDF on the floor so access not easy, last house had floor boards.

Area of country also makes a difference, I have moved to mid Wales from North Wales, I expected things to cost more, but in real terms it seems to cost a lot less, seems to be loads of people willing to do small jobs as long as time and day to suit them, likely they do it when early finish from a larger job in England.

I always said pay peanuts and you get monkeys, but that does not seem to be true here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1