Loft conversion - help!!
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lizzied
Labourer
Labourer

Loft conversion - help!!

by lizzied » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi
We want to convert our loft without building any dormers. Our plan is to fit a staircase for access to the loft and we want to fit one or two velux windows. Do we need planning permission for this project as we are not altering the roof at all?. If we want to call this room a 4th bedroom must we have building regs? And finally can you apply for building regs without planning permission? I hope this makes sense to someone!!!

geo32
Labourer
Labourer

by geo32 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:58 pm

i'm in scotland and up here, as far as i'm concerened, if you want to sell ur house with a 4th bedroom u must apply for planning permission as ur loft would become a living/sleeping area. therfore u must apply for planning and have warrants. all alterations must comform to regs ie head height space going up stairs, landing space at top n bottom of stairs etc. you builder/joiner would be able to get these for u. if you should choose not to apply for planning then when it comes to selling ur house it wouldnt be able to be desribed as having a 4th bedroom....

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:53 pm

lizzied

In England and Wales, you will not require planning consent if you are not adding any bulk to the building. You will definately require building regulation approval. You may also need to serve party wall notices to the adjoining owners if the proposals affect the load bearing nature of the party walls, ie you are imposing additional loadings upon them.

Hope this helps.

LCL

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:04 pm