Loft extension flooring moving a great deal
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RupiRSP
Labourer
Labourer

Loft extension flooring moving a great deal

by RupiRSP » Mon May 09, 2022 10:48 am

Hi,

Our bedroom is in the loft extension of a maisonette and over the last year I've noticed a lot more movement in the floorboards under the existing carpet, not just the usual creaks and squeaks. I want to get this sorted out before getting the room re-carpeted.

The floorboards run the width of the bedroom and adjacent en-suite and when we got the en-suite floor re-tiled, I did see that the floorboards are nailed down. So initially, I thought I could simply replace the nails with screws, which would pull the boards down to the joists for more stability.

But having lifted more of the carpet in the bedroom and peering through the gaps between the boards I discovered that the boards I can see are laid down in the same direction as joists! Quite baffled by this!!

Before I discovered all of this, the plan was to lay down sheets of 9mm ply over the floorboards and screwing these down before carpeting, to give a completely flat surface and prevent future squeaks and movement.

Would laying down the ply sheets (1220mm x 2440mm), perpendicular to the direction of the floorboards, and using longer screws so it pulls into the joists be an adequate solution? Or do I really need to remove and re-lay the floorboards so they are running at 90 degrees to the joists? The first approach would certainly be preferable!

Any advice gratefully received.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Loft extension flooring moving a great deal

by stoneyboy » Wed May 11, 2022 8:31 am

Hi rupirsp,
If your existing boards are T&G chipboard and the long joints are over joists there is not an issue however your best option with the greatest chance of success is to remove the existing floor and fit new.
You could try screwing down the existing floor and see if this cures the basic issue, if it does, there would be little gain in overboarding. There is always the risk that you might drive a screw through a cable or pipe notched in the top of the joists.
Regards S

RupiRSP
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Loft extension flooring moving a great deal

by RupiRSP » Thu May 12, 2022 11:22 am

Much appreciated.

I'll have a better sense of which option once I've cleared the bedroom and removed all of the carpet!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 pm