Loft Insulation Causing Itching to eyes and Face
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
amco38
Labourer
Labourer

Loft Insulation Causing Itching to eyes and Face

by amco38 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 pm

I have a small loft that's been partially boarded for storage. However, the boards are thick enough to make it into a room. I have a desk up there now and am treating it as a little office. However, there is uncovered fibreglass insulation and I've started getting itchy eyes and an itchy face. The insulation isn't being disturbed , but I'm wondering if it can still release particles into the air if it's uncovered? Or could walking along the boards with insulation under them cause particles to release? What could I use to cover the uncovered insulation? Don't really want to use more boards.
Thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Loft Insulation Causing Itching to eyes and Face

by stoneyboy » Wed May 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Hi amco38
Irritation levels from fibre insulation varies depending on you and the age and the manufacturer.
There will always be gaps or ventilation slots around the roof at eaves level so it is likely that fibres will be disturbed. You could try covering the exposed insulation with a breathable membrane or a fine cotton sheeting, you must use something which allows moisture to pass through so plastic sheeting is no good.
Hopefully this will reduce the problem to an acceptable level.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:37 am