Loft ladder
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dennie
Labourer
Labourer

Loft ladder

Post by Dennie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi, not sure if this the place to put this, but here goes :!:
We have a ladder to our loft, which slides down and has a top and bottom half. Unfortunately, today, the stops on both sides of the ladder sheared, these are on the top half. It still goes back into the loft and locks, but is now unsafe as the bottom bit will no doubt fall off if you stand on it :!: The stops are (were) fixed by rivets.
I expect this is a silly question, but is there any way to replace these stops, the rest of the ladder is in good condition :?:
Or is this as I suspect a new ladder :?: The one we have lies flat in the loft when the hatch is closed, do they all do that :?:
Hubby not over the moon at the prospect :!:
Sorry to sound so ditsy, but don't know much about loft ladders, as you can guess :oops: [color=blue][/color]

thedoctor3
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by thedoctor3 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi Denny, You could try repairing it yourself by drilling out the sheared rivits and replacing them with new pop rivits or maybe self tapping screws, small nuts and bolts could be used if the dont interfere with the sliding process. Make sure its safe and will take your weight..
Good luck.. the doctor3

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Loft ladder

Post by Perry525 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi, I have one of these and from the day I fitted it, I was not happy with how it was designed and put together.
I drilled through the sliding section on both sides at each joint and I have 4 galvanized hooks attached to the ladders by soft tieing wire.
When I pull the ladders down, I simply slip a hook through each side of each pair of ladders. This holds them perfectly steady. Each hook is a quarter of an inch in diameter. Of course my original fittings are still in use as the load is always carried on the hooks.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:13 pm