Loft space
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
okuma
Labourer
Labourer

Loft space

by okuma » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:14 pm

I want to board out my loft, put in a velux and put in some permanent safe access - not for use as a bedroom just for more space and storage - does anyone know will this affect my house insurance? I'm not getting planning as won't be using it as anything more than storage space - just want to utilise the space up there. Thanks very much for any advice

appledore
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Loft space

by appledore » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:42 pm

[quote="okuma"]I want to board out my loft, put in a velux and put in some permanent safe access - not for use as a bedroom just for more space and storage - does anyone know will this affect my house insurance? I'm not getting planning as won't be using it as anything more than storage space - just want to utilise the space up there. Thanks very much for any advice[/quote]

Hi,

I bought a house that had done what you are planning to do, even thou you probabley don't need planning permission, you will need building regs, if you don't get them then when you sell you will have a problem. Also this does effect your insurance, they will say that with no proper planning or building regs loft space should not be used.
Hope this helps, it worked out well for us as we were the BUYER, however our SELLER had to take a big drop ! So do your homework. Good Luck

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:14 pm