Log Cabin, building regs./permission ?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nevillioni
Labourer
Labourer

Log Cabin, building regs./permission ?

Post by nevillioni » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:57 pm

Howdy,
I'm thinking of having a Log Cabin built in place of an existing Conservatory. ( ie attached to the back of my house )
Is there anything in the Building regs. to prevent you from attaching a wooden building to your property ?
Also do I need planning permission to do this ?
The Log Cabin people assure me that as long as the " none Permanent Structure" is lower than 4.5 Mt no planning permission is required.
But they've asked me to part with £100 ( refundable ) to draw up the plans.
Before I part with any money I'd like to ask if all this is allowed under Building regs./ planning Permission etc.
Thanks
Nevillioni

reggieroo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Log Cabin, building regs./permission ?

Post by reggieroo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:32 pm

[quote="nevillioni"]Howdy,
I'm thinking of having a Log Cabin built in place of an existing Conservatory. ( ie attached to the back of my house )
Is there anything in the Building regs. to prevent you from attaching a wooden building to your property ?
Also do I need planning permission to do this ?
The Log Cabin people assure me that as long as the " none Permanent Structure" is lower than 4.5 Mt no planning permission is required.
But they've asked me to part with £100 ( refundable ) to draw up the plans.
Before I part with any money I'd like to ask if all this is allowed under Building regs./ planning Permission etc.
Thanks
Nevillioni[/quote]

I want to know pretty much the same thing but mine at the side of my house, from what I've read you don't need planning for a garden structure/building if its less than 15 sqm & no more than 2.5m high.

As for attaching it to the house I don't know much but I just spoke to my local log cabin company who have said what I said above apart from it will need to comply with building regs if you put in a doorway, but you already have one.

If you get any more info let me know.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1