Looking for plumbing advice about water leak from mains pipe
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kirkatroide
Labourer
Labourer

Looking for plumbing advice about water leak from mains pipe

by Kirkatroide » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:24 am

Newbie here, so apologies if I don't give enough information or ask a stupid question!

We noticed over the past few weeks that skirting was coming away from the wall in the bathroom which was mounted on some hardwood boxing in some water pipes.

There's a blue (mains ?) pipe coming up through the floor which someone has helpfully dumped a load of cement on, so it's not easy to access. We saw that the top of the black joint had water leaking from the top of it. We dried it off and tightened the joint up a 1/4 turn, and all seemed well.

Tested with 2 showers and no sign of a leak. Heating on, no leaks. Did a loads of washing this morning and a small bead of water had reappeared on the top of the joint again.

Can anyone recommend anything please? I was looking at something like 'FERNOX LS-X LEAK SEALER' to put on the top to seal where the copper pipe joins the joint but didn't want to mess anything up and do more damage.

Thanks so much in advance for any help or advice!
Attachments
IMG_0092.JPG

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Looking for plumbing advice about water leak from mains pipe

by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:08 pm

Hi kirkatroide,
You could try a bit more tightening of the joint. Leak sealer applied externally will be next to useless.
Best option is to replace the coupling but it will be difficult because the pipe under the coupling is buried in concrete.
Regards S

Kirkatroide
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Looking for plumbing advice about water leak from mains pipe

by Kirkatroide » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:08 am

Thanks so much for that - that's exactly what I did, and it seems to have worked.

I've sealed the top and underside of the top part of the joint, and all is well now - it was a cycle of the washing machine causing the leak it seems, so a few tests later and we're sorted.

Will be fitting an access panel when we refit this weekend, so hopefully all sorted, but thanks so much for your advice - much appreciated :)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:48 pm