Lost keys for double glazing window
Information, help and advice on maintaining, installing and repairing a flat roof. Post your questions and view answers here

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
emma.burton
Labourer
Labourer

Lost keys for double glazing window

by emma.burton » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:21 am

I have moved in to a property that has double glazing windows to the kitchen however the previous occupire has lost the keys to the locks and we are unable to open the windows. The landlord does not know who/which company fitted the windows. Please could some one advise on what we can do. Do I contact a normal locks smith and does anyone know how much roughly this may cost. I have already tried removing the whole lock / handle but it will not come off.

Many thanks

Emma :D

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi Emma,

The locks on most double glased windows are very basic, and often only have a few key selections. A locksmith to open these would be rather over the top.

The best advice is to visit a small local window supplier and ask if he can help. Take a photo of the lock type along with you, so he has some idea what type of locks you have fitted.

However, as a tennant this should not be your responsibility, it is the landlords. Ask the landlord to remedy the problem, or get him to agree to paying the cost if you do it. A window fitter will not cost as much as a locksmith.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 am