Low Hot Water Pressure Upstairs - Need to Fit a Power Shower?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Geordieboy44
Labourer
Labourer

Low Hot Water Pressure Upstairs - Need to Fit a Power Shower?

Post by Geordieboy44 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi all

2 storey 1970's house.

I have a potterton heatmax 28 HE boiler (upstairs in airing cupboard) & downstairs, really decent hot water pressure (just under 5 bar) but to the taps & bath upstairs really low (cant check the pressure as no connection for pressure gauge).

I Want to put in a power shower but believe the HW pressure is too low to make it usable. 1 plumber suggested a shower pump but i don't think this is even legal (as draws water from mains). Not sure what to do/what the issue could be.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Low Hot Water Pressure Upstairs - Need to Fit a Power Shower?

Post by proptech » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi Geordieboy44

5 bar is more than just "decent" I would expect any pressure loss by a height increase of something like 3 metres to not be noticeable. A pump is not the answer. What is the plumber's explanation for that amount of loss ?

Geordieboy44
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Geordieboy44 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Hi Proptech - thanks for the response. He said it was because the mains comes into the house as 22mm alchythene & from the stop cock, it goes straight to 15mm, but isn't that normal anyway?

But that to me wouldn't explain why the pressure is so good downstairs but not upstairs.

He then slapped a quote on me for £365 to install a 1.5 bar pump.

What I have noticed is that the DHW feed from the boiler is 15mm and to all the taps upstairs it's 15mm but then it is to the kitchen sink & that pressure was measured at 4.8bar.

To the bath, there are 15mm flexi tails so I don't think that helps.Just wondering why so bad (or is it just my perception)?

Going to test the pressure upstairs tonight (had a pressure gauge from a previous house so will see exactly what I'm getting upstairs.

I am right in regards to no being able to add a pump to a combi boiler aren't I?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Post by proptech » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:42 pm

Sorry to have not got back to you before. Yes, you are right. Can I suggest you have a word with another plumber. This really does not make a lot of sense to me.

Geordieboy44
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Geordieboy44 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks Proptech - will do.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:27 am