Low hot water temperature in electric immersion only tank.
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
2louche
Labourer
Labourer

Low hot water temperature in electric immersion only tank.

by 2louche » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:50 pm

My flat is all electric and my water is heated by an immersion heater within the hot water tank.

The element in the tank failed about 6 months ago and was replaced by a plumber.

Since the cold weather started we have been having problems with the temperature of the water. We have removed the timer which worked fine when checked and plugged the tank directly into its socket so it's permanantly on but still the temperature is too low.

From what I have read on this site, my guess is that the thermostat on the element needs to be turned up as the water supply from the attic tank is so cold at the moment..

I have removed the lid and checked inside the top of the element - the connecting wires all look undamaged (they were also changed 6 months ago).

There doesen't seem to be any problem with the supply socket or the fuse box which operate properly with other items plugged in and there has been no tripping at the mains RCD. Also the water is actually heating but not to the temperature that we need.

Does this sound right about the thermostat setting or is there anything else people may be aware of that could be causing this problem.

If people agree that it is the thermostat, is it likely to be faulty or does it just need to be turned up. This may sound very niave but can the thermostat be adjusted in situ or does it have to be removed. Also, if it's neccesary to remove the thermostat does the tank need to be drained.

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.[b][/b]

karma_13
Labourer
Labourer

Im having the same problem

by karma_13 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Im having the same problem and have been looking around for answers. From what I gather, lagging the pipes should help.

I was wondering also if its cheeper to leave the emmertion on constant or have it on the timer?

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:16 am