Low voltage in light circuit?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kgilhespy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Low voltage in light circuit?

by kgilhespy » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:10 pm

I have two ceiling lights in one room which are both operated from a single switch. Recently one of the bulbs blew but when I replaced it neither light would come on. When I checked for power at the 1st ceiling rose with a multimeter I only got a reading of approx 185 volts.
The other lights onthesame circuit are fine.
Is it possible that damaged wiring could be the reason for the voltage drop or could it actually be the rose itself.
The system was only installed in 1992.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:56 pm

Very unusual to damage wiring. A switch maybe. But normally it is either on or off and I wonder what you are measuring across and with what?
I still think the old Martindale tester with a bulb has a lot going for it the new electronic meters are like valve volt meters in that very little current is drawn to measure with and they can nearly measure the static in the air.
A lose screw is most likely and the bulb blowing and caused a little more arcing than normal and caused a bad connection.
With power off of course check each wire both at the light that is not working and one before it for lose wires.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:36 am