DIY Doctor

lowering a ceiling to disguise first floor sag

Postby jimmyfivebellies » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:08 pm

I have a victorian mid-terrace which has settled quite a bit over time. This has led to the whole first floor sagging slightly in the middle. As such, the ceilings on the ground floor slope downwards slightly towards the centre of the house. We have a narrow hallway, where the problem is exacerbated visually because it looks like the original plaster trim has had to be broken off on one side because of this sag. I would like to disguise the problem by putting a false ceiling over the original which doesn't slope. How would I do this? What is the minimum distance I can put the new ceiling from the original. I would also to put recessed spotlights in the new ceiling.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:57 pm


DIY asbestos test kits

Postby the specialist » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:31 pm


Are you sure it is just the floor that has sagged?

From the way you describe it I am wondering which way the first floor joists run. If so are they sloping until they hit the centre wall?

If I am right it may be the centre wall which has dropped over time.

I might have misunderstood so please advise. You can put a false ceiling as close to the original as you want. You will need to fasten bearers against the ceiling at right angles to and screwed to the origianal joists. Then fix a wall plate of 3X2 around the room. Next fix new joists between at 400 centres. Fix the new joists to the beareres as necessary to support the new ceiling and to level it across the length as longer timbers are seldom totally straight. In any event as they dry they tend to twist.

the specialist
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:16 am

Postby jimmyfivebellies » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:08 pm

The first floor joists seem to run from the front to the back of the house. There are two supporting walls/joists on the ground floor. One runs the width of the house and is situated midway from the front to the back of the house. In the living room, this has been knocked through. The other supporting wall runs at 90 degrees to this, from the front of the house until it hits the aforementioned supporting wall. This second wall separates the narrow hallway from the living room. There has been movement on the house, which I'm fairly sure has stopped. The bay window at the front of the house is also a bit lopsided. How expensive is it to properly straighten up the house, without resorting to cosmetic quick fixes?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:57 pm

Postby TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:23 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:17 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics