lowering ceiling
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kiltie65
Labourer
Labourer

lowering ceiling

Post by kiltie65 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi i am attempting to lower the ceiling in my living room it is two different levels and has a wooden load supporting joist lower than either of the existing ceiling heights.
I is my plan to have the complete ceiling lowered to the height of the lsj. the new ceiling will be plasterboard and will incorporate recessed lights. I was planning to build a stud frame an attach it to the existing joists, this however has proven to be far more complicated due to the unevenness of the existing ceiling and the depth need to lower it to LSJ levels (approx 145mm......whilst wood i have is 90mm) I was thinking off using joist hangers to take up the gap. so my questions to you are;
will joist hangers work for this?
if they are suitable what type of hanger will i need?
is this the best solution to my problem?

many thanks
neil

Chris the carpenter
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Chris the carpenter » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:48 pm

Put a level line around the room to the height you want your ceiling, make sure the lowest point where you can fit your light under is your starting point. Then set up some string lines , two will do it , across the room using quick release clamps. then build a series of frames screwed together, ones you can handle. Then lift them above string lines and pack them to suit just above the string line. Important don't let them rest on the string ,just above!!! You will have a dead level ceiling then . just move the string lines to make it easy at any time

joust180
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by joust180 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Knock some holes through the old ceiling till you find the joists these should be at 16"" centres for an old house and then you can attach 3#1 or even roofing batten 2by1 to them and hang them down all over to attach to your 3by2.You won't need joist hangers fix a perimiter 3by2 to the wall and then mark that out to take your p/boards unless its the albert hall im sure you can get the timbers long enough to span any room.If the pieces you hang down aren't in the same spot you just need to fit a noggin inbetween the joists and hang down off this>then go back to what chris has said and string line across from the perimiters. Jay

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:09 pm