Mahogany Crisis!!!!!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
craighaylett
Labourer
Labourer

Mahogany Crisis!!!!!

by craighaylett » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Help please.

My windows and doors are mahogany. It would cost a fortune to change them. My problem is, I want to brighten up my house but don't know where to begin. The Mahogany makes my house dark. The skirting and furniture is mahogany.

I can't paint the skirting or window sills white because that would look daft...wouldn't it? any tips please?

Craig[/b]

pbp
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pbp » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:26 am

Only an idea, but if the wood looks quite dark you could either bleach it first to make it lighter so that when you polish it would not look too dark, or alternativley you could put an opaque finsih on there.

This is a clear finish, but with a slight pigment in there to lay over the top and stop the dark mahogany showing through

Painter-aberdeen
Labourer
Labourer

by Painter-aberdeen » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Why would it look daft?

If you paint them white use butinox number 2 for the first 2 coats then butinox 3 for remaining coats.
Butinox is an opaque finish so it totally covers the mahogany,it's a satin finish but most impotantly a woodstain.
Using the traditional undercoat and gloss system needs major prep,ideally sealed with zinsser B.I.N and left 2 weeks before starting to paint.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:24 pm