Main Breaker trips
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ciscodave
Labourer
Labourer

Main Breaker trips

by ciscodave » Wed May 27, 2009 11:15 pm

I am extending a ring main upstairs, I switched of the circuit breaker for the ring, but when I disconnect the earth cables in the socket I am going to extend the ring from, the main Breaker RCD trips and I loose power to all my house. I am unable to get the breaker to stay up unless I connect the earth cables back together and the trip stays on ok. Is this normal? I have never seen this before.

One thing to add I did find a additional earth cable connected other than the expected ring in and ring out earth cables, but I am unsure of where it goes to.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu May 28, 2009 10:41 am

ciscodave,
they will trip RCD even though your breaker is open.
Best solution is either to tape ends of conductors you are removing so they don't touch each other while carrying out the work or disconnect cables at CU supplying the circuit.
Your addtional earth needs more investigation, could be a case of supplementary bonding unusual in socket circuits or the earth being used for another circuit, this should not be done.
So get it checked out.
Also to add, that extending a ring circuit is not notifiable unless in a kitchen or special location and still needs a minor works cert regardless of location.
KB

ciscodave
Labourer
Labourer

by ciscodave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks for the help, I will get the earth checked out. Once again many thanks

ciscodave
Labourer
Labourer

by ciscodave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:01 am

[quote="kbrownie"]ciscodave,
they will trip RCD even though your breaker is open.
Best solution is either to tape ends of conductors you are removing so they don't touch each other while carrying out the work or disconnect cables at CU supplying the circuit.
Your addtional earth needs more investigation, could be a case of supplementary bonding unusual in socket circuits or the earth being used for another circuit, this should not be done.
So get it checked out.
Also to add, that extending a ring circuit is not notifiable unless in a kitchen or special location and still needs a minor works cert regardless of location.
KB[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I will get the earth checked out. Many Thanks

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:05 am