Making a fireplace bigger?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
panna
Labourer
Labourer

Making a fireplace bigger?

by panna » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:01 pm

I have just moved into an old Edwardian house where there seems to be chimney breasts and fireplaces in every room - including the bathroom. I want to remove the one in the bathroom but have been advised it is a very costly job. I have seen houses where they make features of disused chimneys/ fireplaces by enlarging the opening to give space for storage - I think could work and give us a bit more space in a small bathroom..
I'd imagine the lintel is quite low and small as the room is small. Is it easy to move and make bigger.
How can I do it, or do I need a builder?

dents
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dents » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:29 am

yes it is easy to do, but no job for you if you have never done this sort of work. i advise a builder to do this for you.otherwise you could have no bathroom or chimney and then no fire downstairs.
it shouldnt be an expensive job for a builder to do anyway to simply extend the height of the opening .

this work with preps by you could be done in 1day or 2days max,,,, and costing labour £150 approx per day ,its not worth the worry to do it yourself .

DIY_chap
Labourer
Labourer

by DIY_chap » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:27 pm

I've never done this work before but was confident about doing it.

I have added a lintel raising the height by 2 bricks, however I am now stuck with the widening aspect. The flue stacks appear to be free standing and I need to make them narrow. I would like to do it myself but not sure of the next steps. :roll: :?:

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:31 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:19 am