DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Making a Garage Pit Watertight

Postby Jintynut » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:43 pm

I put a pit into my garage, under construction I ran out of concrete it wasn't possible to calculate properly due large boulders in the clay which had to come out, I returned to it a couple days later to complete. However due to high water table outside, as high as the floor surface, rainwater comes in under the floor and through the pit wall where the concrete was later infilled. I've to cut it and redo it but the same problem will reoccur, is there a solution which will fill or grout old to new concrete making it watertight.

Bert
Jintynut
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:04 pm

Hi jintynut,
Short answer is no.
You could try waterproof radio setting mortar, this may reduce water ingress but won’t stop it.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby Jintynut » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:07 pm

I was hoping to coat the old surface with something like latex or a bituminous product and while it's still wet pour in concrete.

Bert
Jintynut
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby stoneyboy » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:45 pm

Hi jintynut,
If you are going to try to tank the pit while there is still damp it will not be successful. Latex and bituminous products tend to be water based so will not dry and if you try to apply cement when they have not cured, the coating will “float” to the surface of the cement.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Postby Jintynut » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:22 pm

Thank you Stoneyboy, If the latex or bituminous were allowed to cure or just before either go off the concrete is poured will that seal, the pit walls and floor were constructed using a waterproofing additive, the water-table drops quickly during dry weather.

Bert
Jintynut
Progress to next rank:
0%

Postby stoneyboy » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:10 pm

Hi jintynut,
Suggest you try your proposal and see what happens. Whichever coating you use it will not seal anything larger than hairline cracks. Bigger cracks should be filled before you apply the coating.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!