marine ply / wpb
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
glen101
Labourer
Labourer

marine ply / wpb

by glen101 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:37 pm

irecently have had a new kitchen fitted. the worksurfaces are corian mounted on mdf. We have put some of the same surfaces outside (under a canopy). To be fair to the installer they did say it would warp. But i requested them to mount it on marine ply. i even offered to buy the marine ply and free issue it to them.

they assured me they had mounted it on marine ply. it has been installed about 2 months and it is now beginning to warp. should marine ply warp in wet damp conditions? i was under the impression it could be submersed in water

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:53 pm

glen101,
Unless the ply was allowed to dry and then sealed on all sides I think you have to expect some distortion. Marine ply would not distort as much as wbp bonded ply and you have to be careful which one is used.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Lots of stuff on the market these days being sold as "marine ply" which would not withstand immersion. The proper stuff is very expensive. If you go to a yard and buy "marine ply" in all good faith (as your installer or even you may have done) it may well be of a lower spec than you thought you were getting but he still used "marine ply" per your request.

After all he did say it would warp.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:17 am