Marley Monarch interlocking tile slates losing colour
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
webber
Labourer
Labourer

Marley Monarch interlocking tile slates losing colour

Post by webber » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Has any one had a problem with these type of slates loosing there colour?
We re roofed are house 6 years ago and choose these slates . they are now fading and look all full. has any one else had this problem , what can I do to
rectify it?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:55 pm

webber,
Its weathering and there's little you can do to remedy the problem. Some manufacturers now supply samples with 1/2 the slate weathered so you can see how they look.
end

denzil14
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Marley Monarch interlocking tile slates

Post by denzil14 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:26 am

Hello Webber
I am interested in your comments about the Marley Monarch slate tiles. Do you have any more information, like when you used this particular tile, what part of the country you reside in etc. etc.

It is well known that the shiny new Monarchs lose their shine with weathering. More so, in adverse weather effected regions. Any more info. you can give me would be much appreciated.

webber
Labourer
Labourer

Post by webber » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:21 pm

have you had simular problem would like to hear from you

patternmaker
Labourer
Labourer

Post by patternmaker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Oh the dreaded Marley Monarch tile
The problem is not weathering but Marley changed the spec after the tiles launch some 20 years ago.they where then cast with the colour right through so the colour never came off as proved by the ones on our garage which are still as black as the day they were fitted some 18 years ago.when we came to the main house roof awhile later they changed to casting them in concrete and painting them and low and behold the coating washed off.Marley,s answer to the problem if you bang the table long and loud is to send a team from Wales to re-coat them FREE of charge.
Our roof now looks great but it has taken 5 years and many solicitors letters but we got there in the end.
Best of luck

EDDIE888
Labourer
Labourer

marley faulty painted roof tiles house now a mess

Post by EDDIE888 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:43 pm

patternmaker wrote:Oh the dreaded Marley Monarch tile
The problem is not weathering but Marley changed the spec after the tiles launch some 20 years ago.they where then cast with the colour right through so the colour never came off as proved by the ones on our garage which are still as black as the day they were fitted some 18 years ago.when we came to the main house roof awhile later they changed to casting them in concrete and painting them and low and behold the coating washed off.Marley,s answer to the problem if you bang the table long and loud is to send a team from Wales to re-coat them FREE of charge.
Our roof now looks great but it has taken 5 years and many solicitors letters but we got there in the end.
Best of luck
Iam experiencing exactly the very same problem
Mactaggart and Mickel builders and Marley Eternit will do nothing unless
i go to court in the full knowledge that the problem exists with the painted surface of their tiles eddie888 hope it does not take me another five years
to get my roof sorted eddie888

EDDIE888
Labourer
Labourer

Faulty Marley Eternit Marquess roof tiles

Post by EDDIE888 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:54 pm

from eddie888

In the knowleedge that their roof tiles are faulty marley eternit will do
nothing unless i go to law to force them to get on with it.
they are quite rediculous.
the slate coloured paint has been comeing of 18 months from new leaving white under core of the tile Marley stated by telephone that if i wait long
enough the roof wll look all one colour how rediculous is this statement
one can see what i am up against do hope other people have better luck
than i am haveing so far however i am verry determined!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Eddie888

Mstan
Labourer
Labourer

Re:

Post by Mstan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Our development has 30 house effected by the dreaded Marley Monrach Tiles. We are awaiting a response from Marley and will be taking legal action as a whole development if not rectified.

can you confirm Marley have re-coated your tiles, as this will help us in our fight?

Anybody else is welcpme to join our action?

Isleofman
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Marley Monarch interlocking tile slates

Post by Isleofman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi
I reroofed a large property in Isle of Man in 2002. Tiles are slowly turning a light yellow wher subject to most uv and weateher. Found this post as following storm damage this week need to find some 30 tiles for repairs. If there is some assistance/participation in claim (class action) interested.

HOUSEOWNER
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Marley Monarch interlocking tile slates losing colour

Post by HOUSEOWNER » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:36 pm

A couple of questions - why has this conversation dried up? Has Marley managed to silence the people who have issues with the quality of Marley Monarch tiles? I have a house in the North East of Scotland, only 7 years old and in addition to loosing their colour and surface protection, these awfull tiles are so brittle they regularly break under the weigt of snow. Several professional roofers have refused to help as they say these tiles are so britttle that they are not prepared to go on the roof as they are likely to cause more damage. Also I believe that Marley has had so many issues with the tiles that production ceased several years ago. Consequently it is now impossible to find spares for the many cracked tiles on my roof. Marley has denied any responsibility and says there is nothing wrong with the tiles. I asked the Marley surveyor if he would buy a house roofed with these tiles, his reply with a wry grin " probably not" . Brilliant customer service eh.

miffed
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Marley Monarch interlocking tile slates losing colour

Post by miffed » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:47 pm

I believe now would be a really good time for those with problem Monarch/Marquess tiles to register their dissatisfaction with BBC Watchdog at:- https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

;-)

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:51 pm