Matching Interior Doors to Original Pine Features
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jonnyh5
Labourer
Labourer

Matching Interior Doors to Original Pine Features

by jonnyh5 » Sat May 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Hello,

I have almost finished a complete renovation on a 1900’s Town House in Sunny Gateshead, England.

After an accident I discovered the Pine Wood under the 100+ years of gloss paint is in great condition and now after about a months worth of stripping, sanding and waxing the period knotty pine is looking wonderful!

I decided to buy some 4 panel, solid core, interior knotty pine doors (I have tried every reclaimers I can and none had period doors) to keep the timber in the house consistent. I planned to stain the doors as close to the original pine as I could and then give it a coupe of coats of beeswax to protect it.

After taking the packaging off the first door I found a statement (on the back of the packaging I might add) along the lines off:

“This is kiln dried timber and should be painted or varnishedâ€

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:51 am

in a test area where it won't be seen try using strong tea to stain the wood. you may need to keep applying until you get the desired colour. may not get a perfect match but it will certainly give the wood a more aged appearance.

with stains and varnishes etc you could always try it one one door first to see how it takes. bear in mind though that any problems with peeling or cracking may not become evident for several weeks or months after application.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 pm