Matt wood paint
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bobwilliams
Labourer
Labourer

Matt wood paint

Post by bobwilliams » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:26 pm

Hello - I do hope someone can help.

I am about to start decorating in my house and have spent some time looking for White Matt Wood Paint unfortunately without success. I know Eggshell and Satin paints are available but try as I may I can't seem to find any Matt.

I would be very grateful if someone could help.

Bob

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

Post by JRS » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:17 pm

Never heard of a matt finish for wood before. Satin is a matt finish for wood if you get water based then if even more flat than oil based. Had a quick check on the web and dulux decorating centre and they only have a matt black finish.

angier
Labourer
Labourer

Post by angier » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Bob

Ive just been driven mad trying to find a low sheen finish too. I used to use Farrow and Ball eggshell 'All White' which gives a lovely low sheen finish but they discontinued the oil based eggshell earlier this year and I am not a fan of water based wood paint so not happy using the replacement product. I tried dulux trade eggshell but its very shiny almost like gloss, the vendor tells me they have had lots of comments about how shiny it is from painter decorators, he said its because of the new low VOC requrements. Ive now moved on to Little Greene eggshell which is expensive and still much shinier than F&B. I was just told that Johnsons do a flat matt oil paint which is suitable for wood but havent tried it yet (dont really want to buy yet more paint).

Otherwise Zoffany and Paint Library apparently do low sheen eggshells but these along with Little Greene are all 'designer' brands and expensive and not sure how widely available they are. If you are happy using water based paint on your woodwork the Farrow and Ball eggshell is fairly widely available.

bobwilliams
Labourer
Labourer

Matt Wood Paint

Post by bobwilliams » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:59 am

Thanks for your replies JRS and angier. It's just a personal thing but we prefer a flat paint finish and have previously used it all over on the woodwork in our house. Dulux used to do it several years ago but presumably due to low demand stopped selling it. After spending quite a bit of time looking round I eventually found that Farrow and Ball did do it but that it was so expensive I couldn't justify it. Just when I was about to give up I came across the fact that Johnstone's Trade do a Brilliant White in what they call "Flat Oil" and at a reasonable price. So far I've used it on a small area and am very pleased with the results - the finish is very flat and just what I was looking for.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:14 pm