Maximum Height of a Small, Non-Residential Building?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
darrylholmes
Labourer
Labourer

Maximum Height of a Small, Non-Residential Building?

by darrylholmes » Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi,

New to this forum and wondered if anyone could answer a question I've got.

I'm thinking of building a workshop (hopefully permitted development) in my garden. From what I have read, the maximum height for such a building with a double pitch roof is 4 metres before planning permission becomes required. (this is assuming all the other conditions, like distance from boundaries/eaves height are met).

However, looking into the building regs a bit, it seems these conflict with the planning rules. In part A of the building regs, in section 2C4 b it says "Small single-storey non-residential buildings: height H should not exceed 3m and W(being the greatest length or width of the building) should not exceed 9m..."

Can anybody tell me how this works? I'd quite like to build as tall as possible in order to have overhead storage space but I'm not sure how high I can build...!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Maximum Height of a Small, Non-Residential Building?

by welsh brickie » Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 pm

the only way to find out is ask your local planning officer, what is written and what is permitted are never the same

darrylholmes
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Maximum Height of a Small, Non-Residential Building?

by darrylholmes » Tue May 13, 2014 9:40 pm

Oh, I'll have to look into that side of things a bit more then. Thanks.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1