maxol morocco 20 boiler asbestos???
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Divvy
Labourer
Labourer

maxol morocco 20 boiler asbestos???

by Divvy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:31 pm

Hiya,

This is my first posting so please help me out :)

My parents will be receiving a warm front grant, they are going to take out the water tank and fit a combi boiler. My parents have a Maxi Morocco 20 boiler. The fitter - who was very rude to me!! :x said that they can't fit the new boiler where the old boiler is because of asbesto in the boiler... I really need you advice on "does the maxol morocco 20 have asbestos?" My parents don't really want 2 boilers (one in the downstairs toilet and one in the upstairs bathroom) in the house and are happy to pay for the old one to be removed if there is asbestos in it but the fitter then went on about how difficult and how much work it will be to put a comi where the old boiler is....(have no idea why, is it because it will be more work?).

I've had a look on the net, but no joy. Could really do with some advice.

Many thanks in advance. :x

humperdink
Tradesman
Tradesman

by humperdink » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:44 pm

this is a difficult one but i will give you the best advise i can

- the morocco (i think) should be a room sealed boiler which means it should(with a bit of brick bashing) be able to be removed without releasing any asbestos - if it contains it as personally i think the insulation tiles are ceramic fibre ones - as long as it is disposed of correctly

big but however - as i dont know for sure, and asbestos can be deadly, and it may be the case the boiler is fitted on asbestos board and the fitter didnt explain it properly i could really only recommend that you contact the enviromental health department of your council who should be able to advise you further

thanks & good luck & seriously consider calling a more helpful plumber with people skills if you have the option

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:24 pm

Don't know if that boiler contains asbestos, but containing asbestos doesn't mean it cannot be removed. It just has to be done carefully by a registered company.

With the plumber trying to push you into having the boiler situated elsewhere will just be for his ease. It'll be easier and quicker for him.
But it's your parents house and they should have the choice of where it goes (within reason) and the location where a combi boiler can be fitted is very flexible.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1